1914: Life in Stamford vignette
This vignette uses a wide variety of primary sources including local newspapers, Markwick’s book and other archives to collate details of life in Stamford in 1914 including recruiting, refugees, the military in Stamford, women’s and children’s roles, Burghley, DORA and defence and the Roll of Honour.
Stamford and the Belgian refugees
Between late August and May 1915, 250,000 Belgian refugees came to Britain. It was the largest influx of political refugees in British history. Today it is almost entirely forgotten. Yet in the early part of the war, helping Belgian refugees was a significant part of Stamford’s contribution to the war effort. These are further details of events pertaining to the refugees in Stamford in 1914.
Stamford’s first recruits
The story of Stamford’s first 37 recruits who travelled to Luton to join up on 28th August 1914. By J. Davies.
Summary of the main actions of the local Lincolnshire Regiment
The Lincolnshire Regiment had just two regular and two territorial battalions when war broke out, however it rapidly grew in size and by the end of hostilities, had raised no less than a further 14 battalions. Many of Stamford’s recruits served in the regiment. Ten battalions saw active service on the Western Front and one also saw action at Gallipoli. It was awarded no less than three Victoria Crosses and a total of 58 Battle Honours. This is a summary of their main actions compiled by Cllr. D. Nalson.
Stamford’s WW1 Casualties
Alphabetical list of 406 Stamford casualties in WW1 compiled by Charles Anderson including their rank, service number and regiment/unit, next of kin, location of enlistment and residence, location of burial/commemoration.
Stamford Church War Memorials
Details and images of First World War memorials in Stamford. Included are: Stamford School, St. George’s, St. Martin’s, St. Mary’s and the United Reformed (formerly Congregational) Church. Compiled by Charles Anderson and Morris Felton.
‘Stamford Boys 1911’ Project
This Project conducted under the auspices of the Stamford & District Local History Society investigated approximately 450 boys, aged 11-16 years, who lived in Stamford at the time of the 1911 census. The project researched their lives during WW1 but also before and after the conflict. A standard form was completed for each boy (archive available at Stamford Town Hall) and where possible, there is a picture or map of where they lived plus any other relevant information. Accounts are contained in 6 files covering different areas of the town.
Boys of Stamford School in the First World War
The research project commemorates the centenary of the tragic loss of 53 Old Boys and Masters of the School in WW1. Developed into a book by Alexandra Colley, it tells the story of each of the short lives of these Old Stamfordians, contrasting their upbringing and often colourful school years with the harsh realities of war. “The boys who fell in the Great War walked the same halls as current boys do now. Personalising the magnitude of the loss is vital in recognising the effect the war had on the nature of the School community and on the town of Stamford” Will Phelan, Headmaster, Stamford School. Copies of the book are available from the Stamford Endowed Schools Shop at £10 each.
Stamford in the First World War
A booklet published by The Stamford and District Local History Society with text and images from the 2014 exhibition part funded by the Stamford Commemoration Programme. It looks at how the town and district were affected by the war, its difficulties and privations, at the local men who fought and died, and the families left behind. Copies of the booklet are available from Stamford Library, Stamford Tourist Information Centre and Walker’s bookshop, price £5.00.